Have you ever tried to add MP3 Audio Files in WordPress and it didn’t work out properly. Well here is what you need to know to make it work.
Audio files are often used for Podcasts.
They include: .mp3, .m4a, .ogg, and .wav files.
Well uploading audio and video files to WordPress using the Media Uploader is easy. Even though the media uploader recognizes these files and display appropriate file-type icons next to them, WordPress does not have a media player that can play these files. You can use a third party platform like SoundCloud to embed audio, but the goal of this article is to allow you to upload audio files using the default media uploader and embed them into a post or page. In this article,you can see how to add MP3 audio files in WordPress.
There are three ways to manually add MP3 files to your WordPress posts.
Option 1: Upload Individual MP3 Files Directly to a WordPress Post
If you only have a handful of MP3 files to upload, the first method will be the best option.
From the left-hand navigation menu in WordPress:
- Click Posts > Add New.
- Click the Add Media button above the text box.
- Drag file(s) from your computer and drop them into the WordPress upload screen or click Select Files.
- When desired files have been added, click Insert into post.
Option 2: Upload Multiple MP3 files through File Manager
If you have multiple MP3 files to upload, follow these instructions:
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Files section, click on the File Manager icon.
- Select Web Root (public_html/www) and be sure you are in the Document Root for the domain using the WordPress install.
- Click to expand the public_html folder, navigate to the wp-content folder and double click on it.
- Along the top of your File Manager screen, click on the New Folder icon.
- In the popup window, name your new folder audio (all lowercase) and click Create New Folder.
- Your new folder will be created in /public_html/wp-content
- You may now bulk upload your MP3 files to this folder either by clicking on the Upload button in File Manager or via FTP.
When naming your MP3 files, it is best to remove any spaces from the file names and name them all in lowercase letters.
EXAMPLE: Instead of This Is A Great Song.mp3, use: thisisagreatsong.mp3
After uploading, the resulting link would be:
Add MP3 Links to a Post
To use MP3 links in your WordPress post:
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click Posts > Add New.
- Write your post.
- Highlight the words that you want to turn into a hyperlink to the MP3 file and click the Link icon from the text box toolbar.
- In the URL field, enter the URL of the MP3 file.
- In the Title field, name the MP3 file.
- Check the box for Open link in a new window/tab.
- Click Add Link.
Option 3: Upload Multiple MP3 files using plugin PB oEmbed HTML5 Audio
First, you need to install and activate PB oEmbed HTML5 Audio plugin. After activating the plugin, go to the post or page where you want to add audio file.
Then, simply enter the URL link to the audio file as separate paragraph. The plugin will convert it into the player on the page. See screenshots.
This plugins adds possibility to place audio files into posts and pages using the oEmbed technology used by WordPress for other purposes (YouTube videos etc). Audio files are embedded using HTML5 audio tag, with Flash-based backup player for MP3 format for browsers that don’t support either HTML5 or MP3 format (Internet Explorer up to version 8.0, Firefox and Opera).
We hope you found this article useful. If you are using some other solution to embed audio files on your site please share it with us in the comment below.
The upcoming blog will be on “How to Add Google Maps in WordPress” Stay Tuned!!